The War Prisoners' Aid of the YMCA
The War Prisoners' Aid of the YMCA printed cartoon cards showing the experiences of German prisoners of war in Canada during World War II. . The cartoons were probably drawn by German prisoners and depict activities such as ping-pong, food preparation, roll call, the food-line, sun-bathing. The cartoon cards measured 14.9 cm x 9.2 and could be used for correspondence. The three cards in the author's collection shown in this post were not postally used.
(The National Archives of Canada has a selection of 19 cartoon cards in its collection.)
Prisoners enjoying a peaceful afternoon at the camp.
3. "Smoking Prohibited"
Can anyone explain what this cartoon depicts?
- 1. Canadian Domestic Letter Rates From 1868 to the Present Day
- 2. Canada Domestic Local Letter Rates : 1851 - 1968
- 3. United States Letter Rates: 1851 to the present day
- 4. United States Air Mail Letter Rates : 1927 - 1976
- 5. Canadian Domestic Air Mail Rates : 1928 - 1954
- 6. United Kingdom and Empire/Commonwealth Letter Rates : 1859 -1971
- 7. Air Mail Letter Rates to the United Kingdom
- 8. International (Universal Postal Union) Letter Rates : 1892 to the present
- 9. Reduced International Letter Rates : Mexico, Cuba, West Indies and Central America, France, South America, and Spain
- 10. Links to Other Posts Dealing with Canadian Postal Rates
- 11. Revamped Centennials