Tuesday, November 2, 2010

1965 Ottawa Capital of the Province of Canada

The Province of Canada was formed in 1841 by the union of Upper Canada and Lower Canada and existed until 1867 when the Dominion of Canada was created pursuant to the British North America Act. During the Province of Canada's 26 year history, its capital moved several times:
  • Kingston 1841-1843
  • Montreal 1843-1849
  • Toronto 1849-1852
  • Quebec City 1852-1856
  • Toronto 1856-1858
  • Quebec City 1859-1866
  • Ottawa 1866 -1867
A permanent capital was clearly needed and the Province of Canada turned to Britain for a solution. In 1857, Queen Victoria chose Ottawa as the permanent capital. 
Construction of Canada's first parliament buildings, on Parliament Hill was initiated with the first stage of the construction completed in 1865. 

 Parliament Buildings, Centre Block under construction (1865)

Ottawa became the functional legislative capital in 1866, and was officially made the Capital of the Dominion of Canada with Confederation in 1867.

Canada Post Office issued a stamp commemorating the selection of Ottawa as capital designed by Gerald Trottier on September 8, 1965.


National Archives of Canada

National Archives of Canada

National Archives of Canada

National Archives of Canada

National Archives of Canada

National Archives of Canada

National Archives of Canada

The approved stamp design was based on a watercolour painted by Mr. Trottier:

National Archives of Canada

National Archives of Canada

Issued Stamp

National Archives of Canada

First Day Covers

Canada Post Office Publicity Cover

Rosecraft envelope used to mail new issue information to Portugal

Shering Corporation

Overseas Mailers : Chickering/Jackson

Stamps commemorating Ottawa as capital, and the International Parliamentary Conference were issued on the same day, September 8, 1965. The Chickering designed cachet combined both themes successfully.


United States Surface Letter

Toronto to Chicago, September 27, 1965
5 cents surface letter rate
Undeliverable letter without return address.

The letter was forwarded to the Chicago Dead Letter Office which returned the letter to Toronto. The letter was received by the Toronto Undeliverable Mail Office and returned to sender in an ambulance envelope. The charge for the returned mail was 5 cents.

Several cancellations applied to the reverse of the envelope:

Chicago Dead Letter Office
October 8, 1965

Toronto Undeliverable Mail Office #12
October 15, 1965

Undeliverable Mail Office meter
October 17, 1965

Souvenir Cover