The province of Manitoba was created in 1870. The Canada Post Office Department issued the Manitoba Centennial commemorative stamp on January 27, 1970.
Post Office Pamphlet
First Day Covers
Autographed by Stamp Designer
The stamp was designed by Canadian artist Kenneth C. Lochhead (1926-2006). Mr. Lochhead exhibited in over three hundred national and international exhibitions and received over 18 major Canadian and international art commissions, including the design for Manitoba's Centennial Stamp.
Kenneth C. Lochhead
Autographed by the Premier of Manitoba
Edward Schreyer enjoyed a successful political career, serving as Premier of Manitoba from 1969-1977. In 1979 he was appointed Governor-General of Canada. As Governor General, he increased public awareness of environmental issues and of the equality of women. He and his wife, Lily, also opened the grounds of Rideau Hall for the enjoyment of the public.
Following his term as Governor General, Mr. Schreyer was appointed High Commissioner to Australia. In recent years, he worked energetically with Habitat for Humanity.
Canada Post Office Publicity First Day Cover
The Manitoba and Northwest Territories stamps were issued on the same day.
Cole (2nd cachet)
Canada Envelope Company
H and E
A quantity of the Manitoba stamp were tagged.
Toronto, March 4, 1970
6 cents domestic letter rate
Winnipeg to Wetaskiwin, May 7, 1970
Longueil to Toronto, February 28, 1970
6 cents domestic letter rate + 40 cents special delivery fee
Kasimir Bileski ( 1908 - 2005) was one of the greatest stamps dealers in Canadian philatelic history. His remarkable story can be found at the Saskatoon Stamp Centre web site.
Bileski created interesting souvenirs for the 1970 Manitoba Centennial stamp:
- 1. Canadian Domestic Letter Rates From 1868 to the Present Day
- 2. Canada Domestic Local Letter Rates : 1851 - 1968
- 3. United States Letter Rates: 1851 to the present day
- 4. United States Air Mail Letter Rates : 1927 - 1976
- 5. Canadian Domestic Air Mail Rates : 1928 - 1954
- 6. United Kingdom and Empire/Commonwealth Letter Rates : 1859 -1971
- 7. Air Mail Letter Rates to the United Kingdom
- 8. International (Universal Postal Union) Letter Rates : 1892 to the present
- 9. Reduced International Letter Rates : Mexico, Cuba, West Indies and Central America, France, South America, and Spain
- 10. Links to Other Posts Dealing with Canadian Postal Rates
- 11. Revamped Centennials