- 1. Canadian Domestic Letter Rates From 1868 to the Present Day
- 2. Canada Domestic Local Letter Rates : 1851 - 1968
- 3. United States Letter Rates: 1851 to the present day
- 4. United States Air Mail Letter Rates : 1927 - 1976
- 5. Canadian Domestic Air Mail Rates : 1928 - 1954
- 6. United Kingdom and Empire/Commonwealth Letter Rates : 1859 -1971
- 7. Air Mail Letter Rates to the United Kingdom
- 8. International (Universal Postal Union) Letter Rates : 1892 to the present
- 9. Reduced International Letter Rates : Mexico, Cuba, West Indies and Central America, France, South America, and Spain
- 10. Links to Other Posts Dealing with Canadian Postal Rates
- 11. Revamped Centennials
Friday, September 17, 2010
Wilding Period Covers
I'm ending this week's postings with an assortment of Wilding period covers which were not included in previous posts.
1. Sanatorium Post Offices
A sanatorium was a medical facility for long-term illness associated with treatment of tuberculosis before antibiotics.
Until writing this post I didn't understand why most Canadian facilities had used the Sanatorium spelling while the facility near Gravenhurst referred to itself as a Sanitarium.
The Saskatchewan Lung Association's web site has provided the answer.
According to the Lung Association, "sanitarium" is the much older word,derived from the Latin noun sanitas, meaning health, which had been used before the twentieth century to apply to health resorts. When the first anti-tuberculosis association was formed in 1895 and their first institution was built on Muskoka Lake near Gravenhurst, it was given the name of The Cottage Sanitarium, and this was followed in 1898 by the Gravenhurst Free Sanitarium.
In the early 1900s, it was felt that a distinction should be made between a health resort and a hospital for the treatment of tuberculosis. Thus, the new word "sanatorium" (from the Latin verb root sano, meaning to heal) was adopted.
The Sanitorium post office was open from 1910 to 1960.
Mr. Larry Matthews has posted an excellent article on the postal history of the hospital.
Nova Scotia Sanatorium
The Nova Scotia Sanatorium (1904 - 1975) was located in Kentville, Nova Scotia.
Sanatorium duplex, April 7, 1959
ROYAL AGRICULTURAL WINTER FAIR NOV. 13-19
Toronto, October 22, 1958
TAKE PART IN INUNDATION CEREMONIES JULY 1-4 1958
Cornwall, July 1, 1958
WESTERN CANADIAN PLOWING CHAMPIONSHIPS JUNE 27, 1956
Portage La Prairie, June 27, 1956
AIR SHOW JUNE 26 1954
North Bay, June 17, 1954
1858-1958 CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION JULY 20-27
Welland, June 13 1958
Welland Centennial souvenir card
3. Private Order Stationery
A few examples of private order stationery with windows:
Posted by philcovex at 3:47 AM