Parcel Post to Great Britain During the Centennial Period
This article deals with a parcel piece from Canada to England mailed in 1970.
This insured parcel was mailed from Peterborough, Ontario to Woking, England on September 16, 1970. The rate for this service was $2.50 (Peterborough meter).
Canada Post Office insured handstamp applied and insured label affixed:
The Post Office at Woking redirected the parcel to Mill Hill, England (neither original nor redirected address was kept on the piece). A charge of 4s 6d was levied for this service.
Decimalization of British currency occurred on February 15, 1971. The postage due labels cancelled at Mill Hill, England, are an interesting mix of the decimal 20p (4 s.) and the 6d. values:
- 1. Canadian Domestic Letter Rates From 1868 to the Present Day
- 2. Canada Domestic Local Letter Rates : 1851 - 1968
- 3. United States Letter Rates: 1851 to the present day
- 4. United States Air Mail Letter Rates : 1927 - 1976
- 5. Canadian Domestic Air Mail Rates : 1928 - 1954
- 6. United Kingdom and Empire/Commonwealth Letter Rates : 1859 -1971
- 7. Air Mail Letter Rates to the United Kingdom
- 8. International (Universal Postal Union) Letter Rates : 1892 to the present
- 9. Reduced International Letter Rates : Mexico, Cuba, West Indies and Central America, France, South America, and Spain
- 10. Links to Other Posts Dealing with Canadian Postal Rates
- 11. Revamped Centennials