In 1948, the First World Health Assembly called for the creation of a "World Health Day" to mark the founding of the World Health Organization. Since 1950, World Health Day has been celebrated on the 7th of April annually.
Each year a theme is selected for World Health Day that highlights a priority area of concern for WHO. The theme of the 1972 World Health Day was "Your Heart Is Your Health". The day was dedicated to the prevention and treatment of heart and circulatory diseases. Its purpose was to stimulate public interest in the problems of heart and circulatory diseases, to promote new measures to solve these problems and to reinforce international co-operation in this field.
Artist Joyce Wieland (1933-1998) , one of Canada's foremost artists of the second half of the 20th century, was commissioned to design the 1972 World Health Day stamp. At that time she was at the height of her career. The National Gallery of Canada had just held its 1971 exhibition, "True Patriot Love," featuring her work. This was the Gallery's first exhibition devoted to a living Canadian woman artist.
Her life's work encompassed a wide variety of media, including film making, painting, sculpture, quilting, collage, print making. The themes that she explored included feminism, the environment, Canadian identity, isolation, and spirituality.
The World Health Day stamp was issued untagged and Ottawa tagged on April 7, 1972.
National Archives of Canada
First Day Covers
Canadian Bank Note
To Paget, Bermuda
Canada Post Office Official First Day Cover
Cobalt to Toronto, May 7, 1972
8 cents domestic letter rate
Ottawa to Toronto, May 7, 1972
Several countries issued stamps for World Health Day. The Philippines stamps were issued on October 24, 1972.
- 1. Canadian Domestic Letter Rates From 1868 to the Present Day
- 2. Canada Domestic Local Letter Rates : 1851 - 1968
- 3. United States Letter Rates: 1851 to the present day
- 4. United States Air Mail Letter Rates : 1927 - 1976
- 5. Canadian Domestic Air Mail Rates : 1928 - 1954
- 6. United Kingdom and Empire/Commonwealth Letter Rates : 1859 -1971
- 7. Air Mail Letter Rates to the United Kingdom
- 8. International (Universal Postal Union) Letter Rates : 1892 to the present
- 9. Reduced International Letter Rates : Mexico, Cuba, West Indies and Central America, France, South America, and Spain
- 10. Links to Other Posts Dealing with Canadian Postal Rates
- 11. Revamped Centennials