Kapuskasing Souvenir Folder
In the late 1930s or early 1940s, the Kapuskasing Chamber of Commerce sponsored the publication of a "Souvenir Folder" to promote the Model Town of the North. The folder consisted of 10 panels on a 90 cm piece of paper, accordion folded. Both sides of the strip had pictures printed on each panel, with the exception of two text panels. The strip was sandwiched between thick paper covers creating a postcard folder.
Front cover of the Souvenir Folder
The souvenir folder could be mailed at the 1 cent printed matter rate for 2 ounces provided there was not written message.
1 cent printed matter rate
Opened folder showing three of the ten panels on one side of the strip
Thirteen pictures used were tinted photographs taken by J.P. Dumoulin for black and white postcards. The remaining pictures were provided by the Ontario government.
a) Dumoulin Pictures
"The Sensenbrenner Hospital has the finiest equipment throughout"
"The Kapuskasing Inn Hotel and Community Club"
"Kapuskasing Golf Club"
"A section of Kapuskasing seen from the mill"
"A frosty Kapuskasing morning"
"The mill where high quality newsprint for the New York Times is made"
"Modern Trans-Canada airliners stop daily at Kapuskasing Airport"
"The Kapuskasing Inn hotel, showing part of park"
Kapuskasing Experimental Farm centre of scientific agriculture
"The Community Club recreational centre of the town"
"Lawn bowling amid pleasant surroundings"
"A day's catch of fish at Remi Lake, Ontario"
"A view of Riverside Park and the bay"
Ontario Government Pictures
- 1. Canadian Domestic Letter Rates From 1868 to the Present Day
- 2. Canada Domestic Local Letter Rates : 1851 - 1968
- 3. United States Letter Rates: 1851 to the present day
- 4. United States Air Mail Letter Rates : 1927 - 1976
- 5. Canadian Domestic Air Mail Rates : 1928 - 1954
- 6. United Kingdom and Empire/Commonwealth Letter Rates : 1859 -1971
- 7. Air Mail Letter Rates to the United Kingdom
- 8. International (Universal Postal Union) Letter Rates : 1892 to the present
- 9. Reduced International Letter Rates : Mexico, Cuba, West Indies and Central America, France, South America, and Spain
- 10. Links to Other Posts Dealing with Canadian Postal Rates
- 11. Revamped Centennials