On May 2, 2008, Canada Post issued a pair of commemorative stamps to celebrate two events in the Canadian the oil-and-gas industry : the country's first commercial oil well and first transcontinental pipeline.
First Day Covers
One of the largest natural gas fields in North America is found in Medicine Hat. The fields were discovered accidentally in the early 1900's during Canadian Pacific Railway's search for water. their drills accidentally struck gas. In 1903, Medicine Hat City Council introduced a program to supply all residents with gas; the beginning of a City-owned utility. Today, Medicine Hat is one of only a few cities that produces and distributes its own natural gas and electricity.
Great Sand Hills, Saskatchewan
The Trans-Canada gas pipeline crosses the Great Sand Hills.
On February 13, 1947, an Imperial Oil rig struck oil at Leduc, Alberta, south of Edmonton. The success, made after 133 failures, transformed Alberta's economy, leading to the discovery of huge oil and gas reservoirs. The pictorial cancels from several Alberta communities illustrate the significance of the oil industry in that province.
a) Oil Rigs
Nisku is a hamlet and an industrial/business park in mid-way between Edmonton and Leduc. The Nisku Industrial Park, established in the 1970s, is Canada's largest and North America's second largest energy park.
Nisku Industrial Park
b) Pump Jacks
Pump jacks pump oil out of the ground and transfer it to storage tanks through pipelines.
- 1. Canadian Domestic Letter Rates From 1868 to the Present Day
- 2. Canada Domestic Local Letter Rates : 1851 - 1968
- 3. United States Letter Rates: 1851 to the present day
- 4. United States Air Mail Letter Rates : 1927 - 1976
- 5. Canadian Domestic Air Mail Rates : 1928 - 1954
- 6. United Kingdom and Empire/Commonwealth Letter Rates : 1859 -1971
- 7. Air Mail Letter Rates to the United Kingdom
- 8. International (Universal Postal Union) Letter Rates : 1892 to the present
- 9. Reduced International Letter Rates : Mexico, Cuba, West Indies and Central America, France, South America, and Spain
- 10. Links to Other Posts Dealing with Canadian Postal Rates
- 11. Revamped Centennials